11/7/11 Studs & Duds
Last night was a slow night in the NHL with only two games on the schedule.
1. The Boston Bruins are back in championship form having scored 13 goals in their last two games. Last night the big guns rewarded fantasy owners with multi-point nights from Horton, Krejci, Lucic, and Chara
Horton: 2 Goals, 1 Assist, +1, 2 SOG, 1 PPG
Krejci: 1 Goal, 2 Assists, +1, 4 SOG, 55.5% FOW
Lucic: 1 Goal, 1 Assist, +1, 4 PIM, 2 SOG
Chara: 2 Assists, 2 PIM, 4 SOG
The line of Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin while not as prominent on the score sheet was dominant for most of the game with a combined one goal and nine SOG
2. Patrick Marleau had a big second period scoring a goal and two assists for a three point night in the win over LA last night. Marleau was slightly disappointing for fantasy owners this season to date but in 13 games now
4 goals, 8 assists for 12 points and +6 Marleau is delivering.
3. Al Montoya came in relief of Nabokov last night after 14:07 in the first period after the Islanders fell behind 3-1. Montoya played exceptional and held the Bruins in check allowing only 2 two goals in 24 shots with a .916 save%. If it were not for Montoya's strong performance the score would not have been as respectable as Boston dominated all night long.
Tyler Seguin played such a great game I had to mention him specifically. Seguin had several chances to score last night and was inches away from scoring back to back hat tricks. His +1 last night gives him a league leading +/- of +11 on the season now.
Matt Moulson and Michael Grabner each had a goal and an assist in last nights loss.
In the West Dan Boyle, Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, Anze Kopitar, and Drew Doughty all had two point nights as well
1. Evgeni Nabokov was pulled after 14:07 of the first period allowing three goals in 12 shots. Nabokov attempted to return to the NHL last season with the Detroit but was claimed off waivers by the Islanders. He refused to play but reported this season, presumably hoping to play well and be traded to a contender. With a record of 1-3 a GAA of 2.81 and a save % of .911 he will have to do much better.
2. Jack Johnson. You may be surprised to see Johnson as a dud since he blasted a goal in from the from the point to give the Kings the lead. However Johnson was a -3 on the night.
3. Dustin Penner was held off the score sheet again last night and he continues to struggle mightily since being acquired last season. In 12 games Penner has zero goals, one assist, is -3. With a cap hit of $4.25M fantasy owners can't give him away!
Tim Connolly is injured again. Shocking!
Q) What does Tim Connolly and a tampon have in common?
A) Both are in for one week, and out for three
Dan Paille used his face to block a point shot from Steve Staios last night. Thankfully Paille wears a visor otherwise he may be dead! This incident gives strength to the mandatory visors in the NHL debate.
Georges Laraque is the NHL version of Jose Canseco claiming his peers were using steroids and that "Wayne Gretzky was the worst coach he ever had"
Shame on you Georges.
Follow me on twitter: @pharling
Follow my blog at: http://fantasyhockeynerd.blogspot.com/
Last edited by pharling; 11-08-2011 at 09:40 AM.