Studs & Duds - Friday 3/8/13
They call Tennessee the volunteer state, and on Friday night Colin Wilson volunteered to lead the Preds past the visiting Oilers. Colin racked up two goals and two assists, one each on the man advantage, as Nashville obliterated Edmonton 6-0. He's 14% owned in Yahoo leagues, but only 12% started him. Listen closely and you'll hear that two percent facepalming themselves.
The scalpee becomes the scalper
Matt Duchene delivered the goods with a goal and three helpers as the Avs finally put an end to the Blackhawks streak. Matt added two hits, two blocked shots, won eight faceoffs, and two of those assists came on the powerplay as a nice bonus. The Avs 6-2 win avenged Wednesday night's 3-2 loss to those same Blackhawks. This game serves as the cherry on the sundae for his owners who are being rewarded for gambling on his rebound from last year's disappointing season.
Courtesy of Puck Daddy
Major respect, even if it's a rival, for the point streak. But as a Red Wings and Stars fan I revel in Chicago's defeat. If only they had been the ones to end it, but they had their chances and missed.
Gimme back my bullets
The Oilers are singing that old Skynryd classic after being shutout on consecutive nights. When they fell behind 1-0 that wasn't the end of the world, that came when Dubnyk allowed an unobstructed shot from the red line to get past him to make it 2-0. From there the massacre was on. I don't even know where to begin, I could populate the next week's worth of Duds selections from this game alone. Suffice it to say the Oilers have hit rock bottom, unless of course they pull out the heavy equipment and resume digging.
The thrill is gone
I guess if you've backstopped your team to a record setting points streak to open a season, when it ends it might as well end with an emphatic thud. On the night "the streak" ended Corey Crawford put up his worst statistical night of the season, finishing with a 7.51/.737 line and swapping seats with Ray Emery after the second period. It's merely a bump in the road, so let not your stat sheet be troubled Crawford owners, Corey shall surely rebound. He still owns a sparkling 11-1-3 record with a 1.81/.930 stat line powering many of his fantasy owners in their quest for a title of their own.
After opening this season on decent run for his new team Dennis Wideman has gone as cold as the Alberta winter. After opening with 10 points in the first 13 games, he only has one point in the last nine and is a minus-4 over that same stretch thanks only to to his plus-3 in the game where he got his lone point. Otherwise Wideman would be a minus-7 over that same time. At the moment he's doing more to help your fantasy rivals by sabotaging your roster from within.
Deep thoughts from a shallow mind
- P.A. Parenteau and Paul Stastny joined Duchene in feasting on Chicago. The duo each contributed a goal and two assists to the winning effort.
- After inking a huge new contract earlier in the day Ryan Getzlaf notched a goal and assist in the win over Calgary.
- Pekka Rinne stopped all 24 shots he faced during the Preds de-pantsing of the Oilers.
- Not to be outdone Viktor Fasth put up a clean sheet of his own stopping 29 shots in the Ducks 4-0 shutout of Calgary.
- Jakob Silfverberg picked up the game winner as the Sens knocked off the Rangers 3-2. Sergei Gonchar chipped in two assists as well.
- Dustin Byfuglien ended his 13 game goal-less streak when he scored the game winner in OT against Jacob Markstrom and the Panthers.
- Brandon Saad continued his mini-breakout picking up and assist on the Toews goal. Saad now has seven points in his last six games including a three point game against the Wild.
You know it's going to be a good day when you open up your mailbox and find out the previous tenant was a playboy subscriber
Dallas Stars Team Coverage
Friday Night Studs And Duds
Common Sewer of good beer
Last edited by NoWayOut; 03-09-2013 at 05:13 AM.