Well.... my Irish Red is in the fermenter. The brew day went pretty much flawlessly except for the end. I dont have an outdoor burner, so the amount of wort that I can boil is limited to approximately 15L. This means I have to top up the fermenter with water. Today, I lost concentration a little as I was talking to my kid while adding the top off water. I added too much! 2.5 litres too much.
It ended up at 1.041. I was looking for 1.050. I dumped in the last bit of the jar of honey (only about 5 tablespoons) and closed it up. I did manage to get 76% efficiency with the mash again, so I think I got that part nailed now.
I'm going to add a sugar syrup to the fermenter once the initial fermentation is over. I'm looking to boost the abv about .5%. That will get it to approximately 4.7% hopefully without changing the flavor too much.
O&B Dream Team
Bill Barber - Bobby Clarke - Tim Kerr
Mark Howe - Chris Pronger