Originally Posted by jman
Thanks for this Justin, it's really appreciated.
1. Behind Elliot and Halak, who is the future of St. Louis's goaltending? I'm losing confidence in Allen but am gaining it in Binnington. Or is it someone else?...
2. Magnus Hellburg. Future star? Future starter? Future 1A? Future back up?...
3. Detroit. Who's the future there?
Thanks in advance.
1. Allen will get the opportunities as he has been because he was drafted very high. Has good size, but he needs to learn how to use it better, and he needs to improve his consistency and mental toughness. Bad stats this season isn't a direct reflection of his play ... Peoria has tons of injuries ... but he's not where I expected him to be right now. I really like where Binnington is at in his development right now, and he's tearing it up in Owen Sound, and possibly has a chance to be the #3 goali going with Team Canada for the Worlds. I like his style, too. Learn more about my thoughts on both prospects in the upcoming Fantasy Goalie Guide. Binnington could push but Allen has the "golden boy" status for the prospects in the system.
2. Way too early to tell. This is just the beginning of a very long process. I think he's at least a future 1A NHL goalie ... as long as he's working with Mitch Korn, he'll eventually be another Lindback. But it's still extremely early in the process...in fact he just went from AHL to the ECHL to get more playing time.
3. Petr Mrazek for sure. But maybe we'll see Gustavsson blossom into the true 1A goalie I think he can be now that he's away from the diseased Leafs organization. But Mrazek is clearly the future goalie there now. He is a beast.