Originally Posted by Goatlender
So is this where we trash talk each other for a couple months before they start playing hockey...?
So who's gonna win (on paper)?
Here's my team: (Comments welcome)
C: Giroux, Spezza, Marleau, J. Thornton, Zajac, Grandlund
LW: Kovalchuk, Whitney, Hagelin, Latendresse
RW: Oshie, Read, Brouwer, Burmistov, Smith-Pelly
D: Kronwall, Voynov, Gonchar, Orpik, Cowen, Martin, Ference
G: Halak, Backstrom, Fasth
1. (5) Claude Giroux (Phi - C,RW)
2. (26) Ilya Kovalchuk (NJ - LW)
3. (35) Jaroslav Halak (StL - G)
4. (56) Niklas Backstrom (Min - G)
5. (65) Jason Spezza (Ott - C)
6. (86) Patrick Marleau (SJ - C,LW)
7. (95) Joe Thornton (SJ - C)
8. (116) Niklas Kronwall (Det - D)
9. (125) T.J. Oshie (StL - C,RW)
10. (146) Ray Whitney (Dal - LW)
11. (155) Travis Zajac (NJ - C)
12. (176) Matt Read (Phi - RW)
13. (185) Mikael Granlund (Min - C)
14. (206) Troy Brouwer (Was - RW)
15. (215) Brooks Orpik (Pit - D)
16. (236) Slava Voynov (LA - D)
17. (245) Carl Hagelin (NYR - LW)
18. (266) Sergei Gonchar (Ott - D)
19. (275) Jared Cowen (Ott - D)
20. (296) Alex Burmistrov (Wpg - C,RW)
21. (305) Guillaume Latendresse (Ott - LW)
22. (326) Viktor Fasth (Anh - G)
23. (335) Paul Martin (Pit - D)
24. (356) Andrew Ference (Bos - D)
25. (365) Devante Smith-Pelly (Anh - RW)
Post draft analysis:
Interesting draft. Wasn't expecting a choice between Giroux and Ovechkin at 5th overall... But took Giroux as Ovies bounce back isn't a sure thing. Also with the D-man run, I couldn't believe how many top guys slid down the draft, and I couldn't help myself. As a result my D corps aren't going to win any scoring awards, but I'm hoping they are "truculent" enough to fill some other cats.
Giroux was a surprise, but I like my consecutive Spezza, Marleau, and Thornton picks in rounds 5 through 7. Grandlund also, but I might have reached...
A Pick I Regret:
I've already dropped Smith-Pelly, but it's hard to regret my last pick. So I'll say I might regret taking Giroux over Ovie.
A Player I Wanted:
Sharp and Backes. Both have been staples on all my teams for many moons, can't believe they went so early (9th and 18th)!
Draft Day Risers:
See above, along with about 20 defenseman.
No. 1 scoring center men were plentiful in rounds 5 through 8.
The Best and Worst Teams:
IMO, a lot of GM's put too much emphasis on multi-cat/grinders and D, with big time offense producers on the board. With 5 of the 7 forward cats directly related to offense (G, A, +\-, PPP, and SOG), time will tell how this pans out, especially in a shortened season. In short, how could I say any team is better then mine?