From Russia with 'ov (Pengwin7's Team)
1. (4) Evgeni Malkin (Pit - C,RW)
2. (27) Ilya Bryzgalov (Phi - G)
3. (34) Zach Parise (Min - LW)
4. (57) Semyon Varlamov (Col - G)
5. (64) Marian Gaborik (NYR - RW)
6. (87) Mike Green (Was - D)
7. (94) Mark Streit (NYI - D)
8. (117) Alexander Semin (Car - LW,RW)
9. (124) David Clarkson (NJ - RW)
10. (147) Olli Jokinen (Wpg - C)
11. (154) Vincent Lecavalier (TB - C)
12. (177) Kimmo Timonen (Phi - D)
13. (184) Derek Dorsett (Cls - RW)
14. (207) Andrei Markov (Mon - D)
15. (214) Matt Martin (NYI - LW)
16. (237) Stephane Robidas (Dal - D)
17. (244) Brayden Schenn (Phi - C)
18. (267) Kyle Quincey (Det - D)
19. (274) Mikael Samuelsson (Det - RW)
20. (297) Andrej Meszaros (Phi - D)
21. (304) Colin Greening (Ott - C)
22. (327) Steve Sullivan (Pho - LW)
23. (334) Vinny Prospal (Cls - C,LW)
24. (357) Stu Bickel (NYR - D)
25. (364) Kyle Clifford (LA - LW)
What I liked about my draft:
The #4 position was great. I knew I'd get one of Crosby (1), Stamkos (3), Malkin (4), or Ovechkin (6). I was shocked when Lundqvist went #2 and also a bit shocked to see Giroux taken ahead of Ovechkin. On the return I was hoping to nab my two favourite goalies for this year: Bryz & Miller. I was thrilled to get Bryz but Miller went in the 6 picks before it got back to me. For my 3rd rounder, I settled on Parise (instead of taking the next of the best goalies: Halak, Howard, Price, Kipper). Niemi & Jamie Benn were two players I wanted that went just before my Varlamov pick. I had a debate between Varlamov vs. Pavelec (who went after Varly), we'll see how that works out. My absolute favourite thing about my draft if my position count (by eligibility): 6C/6LW/6RW/8D. This gives me a +2 at each position and I should be able to play weekly schedules very nicely. Overall, I like my team, I'd probably give it a B+.
What I disliked about my draft:
I tried as hard as I could to stay away from HITS & PIM, knowing I could add those later... but I gave in mid-draft and took Dorsett & Matt Martin. I had lost track of my LW during the draft (none taken from Round 8-14). Then I felt forced to grab Matt Martin... probably much earlier than I needed too. There were 50pt/15PPP/200 SOG players on the board at that spot at both C & RW. From past experience, I've learned that the PIM players start to rack up those stats once their team is out of playoff contention. Which means the PIM for Dorsett & Martin really start flowing around game 60-82. In a shortened season, they'll be less likely to just go out and drop the mitts. I think I bought into both guys way too soon. But by my own spreadsheets, Dorsett & Martin ranked 18th & 40th, respectively, in this format last year... and that's why I had done it.
Timonen, Robidas, B.Schenn, and Meszaros are guys I'm very happy I got. PHI needs to fill PP slots, Timonen should be a lock for PP-time and possibly even Meszaros. Brayden Schenn is a big hitter who could really emerge into a bigger role, especially with his brother in town. With Souray's departure, it's possible that Robidas steps back into the DAL PP picture, which could be fantastic.
Missed out on:
I forgot about Martin Havlat & Derek Roy. Two value players that were WAY down the Yahoo! board. I really should have nabbed these guys. Havlat went two picks before Dorsett. And D.Roy was on the board when I took Dorsett. Possibly a big mistake.
As long as Bryz & Varly get 75% or more of their team's starts (& don't get injured), I really think I should finish top 5. Pretty happy overall.
Last edited by Pengwin7; 10-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.