Draft Coverage - Join Dobber, Angus and - live from the XCEL Energy Center - Matthew Bugg in a live chat at 7pm. Get your voice heard and your questions answered! And follow along by picking up the Fantasy Prospects Report HERE (problems from earlier in the week are fixed). Oh, and Happy Birthday Mr. Bugg, that's quite the present taking in the goings on at the Draft, no?
The Winnipeg Jets, folks! Someone let the cat out of the bag early, because they don't like drama and excitement...
Adrian Dater has an interesting update on Tomas Fleischmann - the Avs haven't shown a lot of interest, as of yet.
Playmaker26 was bang on with his Flyer news from early May. Predicted Carter/Richards trades, Bryzgalov signing, and more. Impressive to say the least.
Devin Setoguchi earns himself a nice extension in San Jose - three years and $9 million total. He's a better player than he has shown the past two seasons. Young goal scorers often struggle with consistency before finding their game.
Brad Richards will indeed hit the open market. Darren Dreger reported yesterday that Richards refused to waive his NMC as Dallas was hoping to fetch something for his rights.
Andrei Markov's agent was the real winner yesterday - three years and a cap hit north of $5 million is extremely impressive considering what Markov is trying to return from. When healthy there aren't many better two-way defensemen in the game, but it is definitely a risk.
Love James Reimer's attitude. Love his play even more.
Draft day mailbag is open! Taking questions today, and will answer them tomorrow.
The downside of my job is that I am without computer access for much of the day. It looks like I missed WWIII in Philadelphia today. Dobber did me a solid and covered off with his thoughts. Here are mine (short and sweet, of course):
1) Three most common answers as to why Richards was moved – Pronger, coach, and off-ice issues. I’m not sure there is truth in all three, but it definitely wasn’t his on ice play.
2) Love the trade for LA. Sure they didn’t get a winger for Kopitar, but Richards is a winner. Moves Stoll down (or out), and gives them a legitimate 1B center to build around for the next decade. Schenn could be as good as Richards (or better). Key word – “could.”
3) Love the Columbus trade for both teams. Giroux/Voracek together for the next decade is drool-worthy.
4).This deal also allows Philly to keep together Hartnell-Briere-Leino, if they so choose to re-sign Ville.
5) Does this free up a Simon Gagne return?
6) Bryzgalov deal – the cap hit isn’t bad, but I don’t like how his season trended. Poor down the stretch and even worse in the playoffs – not a good sign for an impending free agent. The term kills any chance Bobrovsky has at starting.
7) Philly has a ton of flexibility. I don’t see them moving Versteeg, but that could just be me.
8) Loktionov's value drops a bit. He is a natural C and much better up the middle - zero chance he slots in to the top six now. Both Stoll and Handzus further cloud the situation for him. He was great before getting injured last season, though.
9) Very interesting stat from Twitter:
Paul Stastny sounds like he may be on the move today or at some point before July 1st? Why, exactly, would the Avalanche want to move him?
Tuukka Rask is undergoing knee surgery this summer. Should be good to go for camp. A bit of a different situation than last summer, no?
Some major changes coming in 2012-13 regarding NHL divisional realignment? Bring back the Wales/Campbell Conferences, please.
"LIKE" us on Facebook, win a pair of Oakley's. Nuff said.
Holmgren on the Carter/Richards trades: