I know I've been hard on Marty Brodeur this past year, so I will say this - it will be awesome if he goes out on top. The perfect script for a career - legendary status, then he turns 40, then he wins another Cup, then he retires. Awesome. But injuries over the last three years have taken a toll on a body that really never got hurt prior to that.

Today the sale of the Blues will be official, to a group led by Tom "Cory" Stillman. Price of $130 million will buy the Blues, Peoria Rivermen and some Opera House that must have been thrown in for free because no hockey fan would want an Opera House. I kid. His nickname isn't Cory.

If you're a Penguins fan, would you want your team to sign Jaromir Jagr to a one-year deal for, say, $2 million?

Alex Pietrangelo is to his guns that he did not have a concussion. He was on the ice for six of LA's last seven goals, but that was due to a knee injury.

Chris Stewart pledges to work his butt off in the offseason with a conditioning coach in Toronto. He's as down on his year as his fantasy owners are.

On paper, the Coyotes are nowhere near the Kings. On paper. But looking at that same piece of paper, nobody figured they would get into the Top 25. I, myself, predicted they would finish 24th with 83 points - and I was battered pretty badly on Twitter for it. "83 points! They have no scoring! They're terrible! Dead last, with 70 points if they're lucky!" - was the sort of chirping I got a lot of. And I would respond that this was the same team as last year, but with a different goalie...and last year they had 99 points. A 16-point drop over a goalie change is fair. But nobody was buying it. I was down on the 'Yotes... and I wasn't down on them enough, according to most. Now they're in the Final 4 and I don't think anyone will count them out.

Angus had an idea on Twitter (and I believe the rambligns as well, if I'm not mistaken) along the lines of set suspensions for certain infractions. I love the idea, but would like to tweak it because it's hard to implement. What if we get rid of one, two, or three gamers? It's either five games, or nothing. And what if the scale moves upward dramatically with each infraction? Five, then 10, 20, 40, season. Harsh? Yes, but it takes the question out. Player either gets away with it, or he's gone for a long, long time. It makes the issue black (did he do it?) or white - no grey. And have a five-man committee vote yes or no on the infraction. It seems as though suspending a guy for one game is just chickening out.

Do this, and our arguments would be - why did Giroux get five games and Malkin zero? Discussion would be about the difference in the two hits and where that line is. In a situation like I propose, though, I think Giroux would get off. No games.

Craig Smith has joined Team USA at the Worlds.

Who says defense wins Cups? Clearly that’s not the case. Just look no further th- ….but if you ju- … well what ab- … Oh.

While I am enjoying the hockey, it is technically “Dobber’s worst nightmare”. The bane of fantasy hockey has come to pass. A Sutter-coached team is facing a Tippet-coached team and a DeBoer-coached team makes it three defensive teams in the final four. If Dale Hunter sneaks through, the nightmare will be complete. John Tortorella is our only hope, my fantasy hockey friends. Not that he preaches run-and-gun. Far from it. But he’s not quite as stifling as the other three, and given the fact that the NHL is a copycat league, where 90 percent of teams copy the formula of the winning team, we can’t have a defense-first team winning.

That being said – go Phoenix! (That’s the beauty of my job, I have about 10 teams that I like a lot – often related to the winning of pools)

After three points in eight games, Adam Henrique really came on strong with four in the last four.

Andrej Meszaros came back into the lineup, played over 19 minutes. Andreas Lilja was scratched – and I say this because it’s interesting to see Erik Gustafsson keep his spot. He had a great postseason and should make the jump full time next year.

James van Riemsdyk was a minus-2 last night. And the only reason he wasn’t a minus-3 was because he was busy sitting in the penalty box when the Devils scored their third goal. He was a minus-5 in the last four games.

Jaromir Jagr scored two goals in his last 27 games. I wonder what the demand is out there for his services next year.

Wayne Simmonds was a minus-7 over the last eight games.

Adam Larsson has played in four straight games now and he’s scored a goal and is a plus-3.

Ryan Kesler underwent shoulder surgery and rehab on that one is expected to take six months. That pushes things into November. But since last year’s hip recover took a couple of weeks less than expected, I think we’ll see Kesler back in October. But it will be another slow start after missing training camp and a good 10 or 15 games. Oh, I didn’t mention this and I apologize – you’re probably climbing the walls with curiosity – the surgery was “successful”.

It sounds like Mats Zuccarello is getting closer to a return from his broken wrist. “Within two weeks” is the party line, but if the Rangers need him for Game 2 or 3 next round, I think we’ll see him (assuming they make it).

Semyon Varlamov is on fire at the Worlds – 3-0, 1.33, 0.948 for Russia.

TSN's James Duthie was saying that a Sutter-coached team once beat the No.1 seed, the No.2 seed and the No.3 seed en route to getting to the Stanley Cup Final where he faced a John Tortorella-coached team that featured Brad Richards. This year, Sutter's team has already gotten past the No.1 and No.2 seeded teams in the West...and he faces the No.3 seed...

Rinaldo and Couturier hhhhhhammer Volchenkov here:

Did you catch this Bryzgalov oopsy?

marsid6687 said:

marsid6687
Jagr As a Pens fan, no I wouldn't want to see Jagr back in a Pens uniform for a year. Malkin seems to sulk with Crosby in the lineup so if Jagr is added I see a very difficult situation for Bylsma to contend with.
May 09, 2012 | url

Gotlaid said:

Maaaasquito
Suspensions Living here in Aus, I've been greatly exposed to the AFL (Australian Football League), for any of those who have visited or lived in Australia, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about and I think they have somewhat of a decent system.

They have a system where suspensions are dealt with a tribunal (board)... and it goes with a points system for infractions, so minor infractions (lower points), big infractions (higher points)... repeat offenders (more points) What happens is the tribunal assesses what happens, kinda like what Shanny does, then drops the result (1 game, 2 game, 10 game suspension)... Then what the player can do is contest it, if they can prove that the tribunal was excessive or so and so got 3 games, why did I get 5... then the suspension is reduced or dropped. But if the tribunal finds that the suspension was fair, the player gets double.

What that does is that allows the player to at least somewhat determine his own fate... if he's done something wrong, he can look back at it and said yeah fair enough did this wrong, I understand why I got the suspension... Then you don't get any of the well Ovechkin did the same thing and it was 1 game, so and so did the exact same thing and he got 3...

Just another thought...

buck0198 said:

buck0198
Yotes I hope the Yotes win...f all the talk about areas not deserving it.

I would want Jagr for 1 year...not $2 million though...not worth it. I might want him at half way through the season if he has been just working out for the first half...that way he is fresh come playoffs. He is too old. Caught up to him in the playoffs...

Big Ev said:

Big Ev
... the Rangers are also very very defensive. Hence why they block more shots than the rest of the league.

Guy Incognito said:

Guy Incognito
defense... Shouldn't shots FOR count when judging whether a team is being offensive or defensive, and not just shots against?

There are three teams with fewer shots per game surrendered than NJ in the postseason, and I expect most would love to see two of them - Detroit and Chicago - among the remaining teams because they are "more offensive".

There are also only three teams with more shots for.

It is worth noting that spending the bulk of a game in the offensive zone also minimizes shots against. If you're going to call that defense, then our words don't really mean anything at all. It seems to me that some of you think offense means taking reckless, irresponsible chances every time you get the puck.

The defensive style that we should fear (if we're fans of more shots and goals) is the dump & trap game leading to 20-17 shot counts. NJ outshot Philly 35-20 in game 2 and 43-22 in game 4 and it wasn't because they were sitting back in defensive posture all game.

Somebody define offense and defense in the same post and then maybe one of these discussions will have meaning. I don't think we're even using the same vocabulary otherwise.

bullwinkle said:

bullwinkle
Thoughts... The 5 game minimum idea wouldn't work IMO. Giroux would get no games? That vindicates his dirty hit and his dirty play in general. No, he needed to serve some time.

I don't want Phoenix to win the Cup. I don't like any area that really doesn't truly support hockey (read New Jersey) to EVER win the Cup.
May 09, 2012

Coaching Style - KFV I don't care how they do it - Trap, Lock, Zone, Forecheck. I don't care. If only 20 shots are getting through, it's defense. Defending this as a "non-trap" system is just semantics. This is a fantasy hockey site, we don't care what label you put on a system that limits shots. Call it the Dagobah system if it makes you feel better smilies/wink.gif

DuklaNation said:

DuklaNation
@KFV Over a week = >7 days. These teams have been playing a LOT longer than that (and not just the playoffs). Not too bright I see. Sorry, not a big fan of teams with that style. If you want to watch, go ahead, knock yourself out. Too boring for me.

Bender said:

baconnol
Fantasy Hockey Regardless of who wins the cup and how, fantasy hockey will not change... the point is to outscore the other teams in your league. So if scoring is down, its down for everyone. But there will still a couple 100 point scorers and Stamkos will likely pot 50, and there will be some surprise players, etc, etc.

Guy Incognito said:

Guy Incognito
so fore-checking is defence... What is back-checking?

And what constitutes offence?

slufoot said:

slufoot
PDB coaching style His style has always been defense first.

And while the Devils don't trap like they used to, they certainly don't take many offensive chances. You're right, they forecheck, forecheck, forecheck...and hook, hold, and run obstruction with the best of them.

Ryan Ma said:

Maaaasquito
... Isn't forechecking, defense?

I think it would be hard to argue that forechecking is different to playing defense...

Man_not_Puck said:

Man_not_Puck
agree with KFV watched games 2,3,4 & 5. What KFV says is true. Flyers defence got beat down by a tenacious forecheck & a really good cycle game.

KFV said:

KFV
... seriously, do you even watch Devils games? since when does PDB coach a defence-first style? it's forecheck forecheck forecheck. this isn't the 90s

@duklanation - claiming that the current games aren't entertaining and then stating you haven't actually been watching them. stupidity at its finest

DuklaNation said:

DuklaNation
... Im not optimistic about next season after seeing these remaining 5 teams. Play it tight and hope for some lucky bounces? Not entertaining hockey for me. I havent watched a game in over a week now.

Rollie1967 said:

Flyers At the start of this series, I was cheering for Philly- with their more uptempo style..but the chippiness wore real thin (Rinaldo left his feet on the Volchenkov hit, then took out Zubrus out at the heat), not sure what happened with Philly- was Pittsburgh that bad? Or was it just that against decent goaltending they werent the offensive juggernauts we thought they were.... and Bryzgalov continued his Cristobal Huet impersonation. Philly wasnt going anywhere with that goaltending.