Midseason Guide now posted. Enjoy!

If you bought the GOLD package, my apologies - I assigned last year's midseason guide to it instead of today's. I fixed the issue, albeit 5 hours later (couldn't figure out was wrong until now - duh).

Also - I re-issued this month's rankings at 4pm ET today. I realized that my anaylsis on the Blues players was not in there, so I remedied that. - Dobber

Kyle Turris had a goal and an assist last night, and he seems to be playing better each game. Ottawa was a perfect fit for him - a young team willing to be patient with him, and one with little depth up the middle (at least in the short/medium term).

Nugent-Hopkins is out for a few weeks with his shoulder injury. I don't think it will affect Eberle all that much (he scored against the Blues last night). He's the best Edmonton forward and he'll find a way to keep producing (the Oilers do have some other talented players).

Pietrangelo had a great game for the Blues - two points and six shots on goal.

Don't look now, but Chris Stewart has five goals in his last eight games.

FREE - Last year's Midseason Guide. I think the midseason edition is just as helpful as the preseason one and to prove it to you I want you to look at what we did last year. The information that it gives - prospects, half-season projections, tidbits, trends, college free agents, KHL thoughts - WILL help you for the second half. So read last year's version, enjoy it, and be convinced. Pick up last year's Midseason Guide for free right here.

Giroux, Hartnell, and van Riemsdyk combined for six points against Chicago. Hartnell also had a whopping seven shots on goal.

Timonen left the game and was seen after with a soft cast on one of his wrists. Awful news for the Flyers if he is out for any extended period of time.

Chicago rookie winger Jimmy Hayes now has goals in back-to-back games.

Shea Weber returned from a concussion and played 25 minutes for the Preds last night. Josi played, while both Ellis and Blum were healthy scratches. Josi has been the most steady of the three, and he looks the most comfortable playing a regular shift at the NHL level.

Watched most of the Russia/Sweden final last night. The Swedes were better (by a long shot) all game long. It was fitting that their best forward scored the tournament winner in OT – Ottawa first rounder Mika Zibanejad.

Boston pummeled Calgary 9-0 right now. The Bruins have scored 15 goals in their past two games. I don’t even think the Kings have scored 15 all season…

Calgary rookie goalie Leland Irving was lit up like a Christmas tree for the first six goals before getting the mercy pull.

A few interesting stats – Calgary defenseman Chris Butler ties a league-worst minus-7 single game record. TJ Brodie led the Flames in ice time with almost 25 minutes played, yet he finished the game even (even with nine goals against and none for. simply incredible).

As I mentioned yesterday, Boston’s depth is ridiculous. No one played less than 12 minutes against Calgary last night (yes, it is easier to spread out ice time when holding a significant lead).

Benoit Pouliot had three helpers for the Bruins – looked great (as did the rest of the team).

Joe Corvo had no points, but finished plus-4 with seven shots on goal.

Tuukka Rask made 25 saves for the shutout. His stats this season (in limited action) are simply ridiculous.

Jonas Gusvatsson shut out the Jets last night – his first shut out in almost THREE calendar years.

Kessel and Lupul refuse to slow down, but I thought Grabovski was the best Leaf last night (much like many nights last season). Grabovski is a really fun player to watch, and he is underrated defensively.

Anton Stralman scored his first goal as a Ranger last night. No PP time, but he did see almost 24 minutes overall.

Samuelseson had two helpers for the Panthers last night.

Brandon Dubinsky has 14 shots on goal – and no goals – in his last four games.

Rumors about regarding Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan to “insert favorite team here” for less than great returns. Don’t expect it to happen.

Check out my piece on the Canucks Army yesterday, covering little-known but very fantasy-relevant Canucks prospect Patrick McNally, a freshman with the Harvard Crimson this season. McNally is one of the top scorers in the entire country among defensemen.

A good read on 10 stand outs from the World Juniors this year.

I was really impressed with this guy:

“Brett Connolly — As a 19-year-old with a previous world junior championship and 28 NHL games under his belt, he was expected to be a leader for Canada. He’s done just that, embracing his role as a more physical, gritty player and adding the leadership and scoring touch that made the Tampa Bay Lightning take his sixth overall in the 2010 NHL entry draft.”

Glen Hoos wants your questions regarding commissioning a fantasy hockey league (rules, disputes, etc). Fire away to him right here!

Sweden’s first Gold Medal in 30 years – ended in impressive fashion:

Ryan said:

letnry
Gusvatsson Jeff, I think you over compensated. While it is his first shutout in over 2 years, his last was Dec 19, 2009, which I personally would not consider almost 3 calendar years ago. In fact he wasn't even in the league 3 calendar years ago.

Shoeless said:

Shoeless
Mid Season Guide 2011-2012 Ooga Chaka Ooga Ooga! ....

I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me.
Dobber, you just don't realize
What you do to me.
When you give me
The guide so tight,
You let me know,
Everything's alright, ahahah (except that I need to make a couple of moves)

When I am only on page 17 and I have already had at least 3 of those - uh huh makes sense moments - gotta be good. Great and cheap way to pass a frosty Korean Saturday.

Austin said:

austeane
Boston Boston is incredibly deep! Their depth is only rivaled by Vancouver. Pit/Wash have more star power but not as much depth.

And Marc.... How is Thomas/Rask so much better then Luongo/Schneider? They are equal in my mind.

frozenpools said:

frozenpools
Getzlaf/Perry I dont get how some rumors are shutdown and others are worth a major article but I digress. Any team in the league should be salivating at the chance of landing Getz or Perry.

Shout out to Oiler prospect Oscar Klefbom (beauty name) who had a great tourny and led Sweden with a plus 8. Woulda been up there for TOI too (dont know the data). For a team hurting on D its nice to see a prospect developing well.

Marc said:

MGW
Boston not deep The Bruins have 3 FIRST line centres: Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin
Some of the league's best 2nd and 3rd liners like Peverley, Kelly and Marchand.
Best goalie combo in the league (by far)

I'm curious to know who would be considered a deeper team in the league.

DuklaNation said:

DuklaNation
... Re:Boston, the sum of the parts is greater than the individual. Some of these forwards would be deemed average on other teams. Its their goaltending and defensive acumen that inflate their stats.

Michal Sk said:

StevenY
... Boston depth is second to none. Marchand scored 5 points a couple of weeks back, he did not even play yesterday....every time another player scores a few points.

Ryan said:

letnry
... Gusvatsson's shutout was his first in OVER two calendar years.

Brian Foster said:

TeamFoster4
spelling.... Was wearing out the REFRESH button on my browser. smilies/grin.gif

Brian Foster said:

TeamFoster4
Thank you for the update. Thank you for the 3pm ET release time update.

I will wearing out the refresh button on my browser.

Brian Foster said:

TeamFoster4
FANTASY CHRISTMAS! I stayed up all night
and can't wait for Santa Dobber to give me a present
that will guarantee my timesheet at work
has zero production filled in on it today! smilies/grin.gif

Guy Incognito said:

Guy Incognito
Boston not deep? What Chris said.

How can the claim be made that Boston isn't deep? I would think DuklaNation were trolling us with that, if it weren't accompanied by a perfectly plain observation about Craig Anderson.

Chris said:

5hole
Duklanation Bostons not that deep? Teams like that have a problem come playoffs? Were you on earth last spring when they won the cup?

Noam said:

Holymanm
... the three players who impressed me the most in the whole WJC - keeping in mind that i obviously already knew kuznetsov, yakupov, granlund, schwartz etc are all kinds of blue chip, so it would be hard to be impressed by them, but even so - were hakanpaa, klefbom and brodin. boring picks, i know! but hakanpaa was just a monster, douglas murray like; klefbom was looking an awful lot like hedman in his last year there; and brodin was all kinds of solid and intellectual out there. yeah scandinavian shutdown dmen!

DuklaNation said:

DuklaNation
... Craig Anderson is now in a 3 way tie for 2nd most wins with 19. He doesnt get much respect but he has really recovered from that brutal start. I really dont see Boston as that deep, they are just playing like a well oiled machine right now. Teams like that have a habit of having problems come playoff time.