Some random notes from researching for my top 50 NHL trade value rankings...

John Tavares makes $5.5 million for FIVE more years. Wow....

Kane and Toews each have two years left on their respective deals. The Hawks will have to pony up big time this summer with extensions (much like Anaheim had to with Getzlaf and Perry). How much money gets it done? I could see $8 million per for each, or slightly more.

Malkin is a UFA next summer. Does he go out on his own to be the franchise guy? He'd easily get $10+ million on the open market. But Crosby taking a ridiculous discount hurt his ability to negotiate with Pittsburgh.

Henrik Zetterberg has a phenomenal contract. $6 million per for the rest of his career, essentially.

A new one for the NHL. Raffi Torres has been suspended for the rest of Round 2, whether that is three more games or six. The hit was bad, but the fact that it was him throwing it that made it worse.

Not sure what I think of variable punishment, though. But I’ve complained enough about the disciplinary system. On to other things.

Johnny Boychuk had a gritty game last night - he logged huge minutes, was rammed into the boards from behind twice, and hit the post twice as well. With Seidenberg out he is the anchor on Boston's second pairing.

Torey Krug was also really good. He scored a goal in only his fourth NHL game (and first in the playoffs). For a 5-9 defenseman he plays hard and fearless. 16 minutes for him. Good timing with mentioning him in my post yesterday, too.

Bergeron and Marchand are continuing from where they left off in Game 7 against Toronto (and Vancouver, for that matter). Bergeron played 27 minutes, and lost only four of 14 faceoffs. Oh, and he set up the OT winner with a slick saucer pass.

At 38 minutes, Chara played over 10 minutes more than any of his teammates. The guy is a freak of nature.

Stepan had a goal and played a lot, but he was killed by the Bruins on the draw. Boston has the edge in the faceoff circle over New York.

It was a typical Rangers game for the first period and a bit (boring, shot blocks, chip and chase), but the final 40+OT were really good. Two big and aggressive teams.

Alex Ovechkin fractured his foot in Game 6 against the Rangers and played through it for the rest of the series (as well as his time at the World Championships for Russia).

Canada lost 3-2 in a shootout to the Swedes. Jhonas Enroth was very good. I was also impressed by Jay Harrison on the back end – for a big guy, his mobility was a pleasant surprise on the big ice.

Giroux and Stamkos were really good, as was Matt Duchene. Duchene is such a fun player to watch.

T-minus 13 days until the 2013 Prospects Report….

I am close to publishing my second annual top 50 NHL Trade Value rankings. Here is a link to last year’s. (Long read warning.)

I am making a few changes this year:

I won’t be trying to group similar players together. If a run of three goalies happens, it is purely coincidental. I think this helped make more accurate rankings.

Goalies aren’t valued as highly as last year… as they obviously aren’t valued as highly (trade value, not playing value) in real life.

Contracts matter more than last year with the salary cap decreasing.

Patrice Bergeron will be on there. My one major oversight from last year.

Any guesses to the biggest risers? Sliders? New names on the list?

Boston prospect Carter Camper is having a hell of an AHL postseason. He’s an undersized forward (5-8 on his tip-toes), but he has a ton of talent. Carter is older than most prospects – he turns 25 this summer.

Does he have NHL upside? I think so. Is it in Boston? That, I don’t know.

Camper was a four-year NCAA star at Miami (Ohio). He had 10 goals and 47 points in 57 AHL games this season, and as of Thursday morning, he had seven goals and 12 points in only eight postseason games.

Is he just another guy who is too small for the NHL, but too good for the AHL? Maybe not too good, but good enough to dominate offensively. He could be. But he is also a guy who you should at least keep an eye on. The Bruins don’t have a lot of open roster spots, but with the declining salary cap, and Rask needing a new contract, they will need to free up some cap space from somewhere.

The LA Kings are the best team in hockey. I don’t see Pittsburgh, Boston, or Chicago beating them in a seven game series. Their only weakness is on the back end, as their depth isn’t amazing.

But Drew Doughty has quietly developed into one of the best two-way defensemen in hockey (he’s in the conversation with Weber and Chara). And up front, the Kings are big and talented on all four lines. They look as good as they did at this time last year.

Dean Lombardi has done a masterful job there over the past two years. He went through a rebuild, stocking the cupboard with young assets. And because of great drafting and development, the Kings are set to thrive for a while.

They were able to trade Simmonds, Schenn, and Johnson (Voynov’s emergence allowed for this) because they drafted well.

And they have found the likes of Muzzin, Toffoli, Linden Vey, Voynov, and so on in recent years. And if they move Bernier this summer (seems to be the logical move), they could get even better by bringing a young winger or defenseman back in a trade.

Here’s a good read on the winning culture in Los Angeles.

DobberHockey member Pengwin7 has put together a fantastic resource that I’d highly recommend checking out. What it is – a measure of lucky and unlucky players, using primary and secondary assists as the measure.

Really interesting stuff here.

Enjoy reading Dave Lozo’s weekly mailbag over at Backhand Shelf – in his latest piece, he puts together a hockey team with Game of Thrones characters. It is as good as it sounds.

Love the top line, especially the right wing. Todd Bertuzzi 2.0?

I’m a few teams behind in my daily sleeper look – I’ll double or triple up for tomorrow’s ramblings, I promise.

Eric Staal left in a lot of pain after this knee on knee hit from Edler. Reckless or dirty, pick your label for this one:

angus said:

angus
... Crosby could easily fetch 12-13 mill on the open market. Sure he is paid a ton but it is all relative for pro athletes. Comparing them to normal people in terms of salary is a waste of time.

Shevy - you are right. Thanks.

shevyx said:

shevyx
Kane and Toews Kane and toews each have 2 years left on their deals. With both becoming UFAs in 2015

Front89 said:

Front89
Crosby and Brady Crosby, like Brady in the NFL, gets his knob slobbed because he supposedly "sacrificed" for the betterment of his team and took a huge discounted salary...if 8.7M per is a huge sacrifice, count me in, I'll take his place in a nanosecond. Its largely BS just like it was for Brady. Both guys got paid BIG BIG time and to call them saints is beyond silly. The discount for Crosby is probably more likely due to the concern by the Pens that one more hit will turn him into a vegetable and due to the fact he missed large chunks of time the last several years.

buck0198 said:

buck0198
Mickey Mouse Its only a mickey mouse tourney cuz Canada is out. If they won it, I am sure you and your local Canucks would be celebrating. I will take my 8-3 win over the Russians and look forward to beating the Swiss...

USA USA USA!

hawkdog said:

hawkdog
... Just to play devils advocate. Did Crosby really take a ridiculous discount? He took a discount sure, so that his team would remain competitive. Its also a very long term contract. I can't remember for sure but wasn't he hurt when he signed his contract?
Considering his history with injuries it might be possible he was more concerned with term than the amount.

Either way, Kudos to Crosby for agreeing to a reasonable contract.

According to Forbes Magazine Crosby is the top paid NHL player.

rob2kx said:

rob2kx
Raffi Torres hit... I just saw the hit now... That's about as clean as it gets. No charge. From the side. Shoulder to shoulder. Didn't leave his feet. Within about a second of Stoll getting rid of the puck. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

JHM said:

JHM
Biggest riser Being as this is the top 50.

Bobrovsky among the tenders for biggest riser.

Voracek for the forwards.

smack said:

smack
Staal Hit That was very dirty. I don't care what team you root for, that was a DIRTY hit.

Ed. said:

Ed.
Game of Thrones No Gregor Clegagne? I'd put him in front of the net on every PP. Huge, sadistic, solid hand-eye coordination...

Stannis would be cancer in a dressing room. Constantly crying to the media about how he was a second-overall pick, so the first line C spot should be his.

Goalin Crazy UK said:

Goalin Crazy UK
NOT whoops Edler knew 100% what he was doing there. He was looking at the play and Staal was turned away, yes he possibly has a wide stance. But you won't see a better definition of the term kneeing! Disgraceful in a mickey mouse tournament!

Rollie1967 said:

... That was an unfortunate collision, watching Staals leg, it looks like his skate got caught in a rut, pulling it out slightly, Edler wasnt expecting any contact, and actually lifted his leg out of the way- but too late. Because of the route his skate took, Staal had more weight on his outside leg than normal,probably making the impact worse than if he had been just cutting in.
Dunnder- get your eyes checked.

Carcillo said:

Carcillo
...

Not really a new one as Cooke's last suspension covered remainder of the regular season and 1st round of playoffs. So that was a variable punishment as well.

donpaulo said:

... that is a nasty looking injury to Staal. It looked like an NFL hit with a shattered femur. I don't know about the rest of you but I felt bile in my throat after watching it in slow motion.

donpaulo said:

... that is a nasty looking injury to Staal. It looked like an NHL hit with a shattered femur. I don't know about the rest of you but I felt bile in my throat after watching it in slow motion.

Dunnder said:

Dunnder
Dirty Canucks even after being eliminated from the NHL playoffs, Canucks will be Canucks. Too bad, cause I actually expected more from Edler; he lost a lot of respect from me on that play. Just brutal.

27Blue said:

27Blue
... Before the playoffs started, my money was on the Kings too. Best playoff team in the league. If the Blues had even one big-time finisher though, they would have taken the series. Read in a blog that the Blues missed 19 wide open nets in the 6 game series... 19! Just goes to show that you need some luck and some bounces to go all the way.

I really enjoyed your top 50 player values last year and am anxioulsy awaiting round 2.
May 16, 2013