Angus here - I am opening up my hockey mailbag for the duration of the lockout. The details here.

Lockout Update: Day 25 - There is still a lockout.

Fantasy Guide - Fully updated as of today. Massive updates posted - including KHL injury notes, a full blow-by-blow analysis and breakdown (from my perspective) of the Expert's League draft, a *bonus* article going over the rosters of each team and picking out possible retirement candidates in the event that the lockout wipes out the season. Also added notes in the CBA Tracker.

The Draft List was also updated, including some salary updates and a few injury notes.

FREE - Get this year's Fantasy Football Guide and the 2011-12 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Report. I'm giving these away free, details are here. I want everyone to see what a great product they missed out on so they'll pick it up next time!

Phoenix prospect Brett MacLean has retired from hockey. His cardiac arrest was serious enough that he is forced to abstain from contact sports. TSN had that update yesterday. This was an update that was probably easy to get two months ago, I wonder why the news is just out now. Tough break for Brett, but on the other hand he's very lucky and I wish him all the best.

The Hockey Writers' Ian McLaren was at Blogs With Balls (should have searched me out Ian!) and he did this little write-up on one of the discussions - Advanced Stats. A solid write-up. That particular part of the conference didn't enthrall me, as it pretty much told me what I already knew - and the focus was on football and baseball, barely touching hockey. But McLaren delves into the QualComp stat if you're interested in learning more about it.

So tell me this - why do the big named mainstream media personalities believe that the NHL and the NHLPA are not talking about "core economic issues"? I mean, granted, they're not bouncing proposals off each other, but you can't tell me that they're sitting in the room together for six hours and the topic hasn't come up? Bullshit. Ideas have been floated. Maybe over a coffee break. Perhaps between concluding talks on the frequency of drug testing just before the discussion about standards for media availability. But things have been said.

The two sides are set to meet today.

In his first game in the SM-liiga (Finland), Craig Smith tallied four points. A good dark horse to start the season well, but will probably tail off in the second half again.

I write this stuff assuming that there will be a season, of course. And a decent-sized "second half" to a season, too.

Another lockout victim - Jason Akeson was cut by the Phantoms and will report to Trenton of the ECHL. Akeson was one of the only promising offensive forwards in the Flyers' system. Still, he was beat out by a few players who I had figured to be not nearly as good. I consider it a big step back.

Sean Bergenheim suffered a lower-body injury while playing in Finland and word is that he has returned to North America for treatment.

Update on Colorado's Joey Hishon, prospect from my hometown of Stratford - he will not play Friday in the home opener for Lake Erie (AHL) and nobody knows when he will play again. Serious concussion. Buffalo prospect Brayden McNabb dished out the cheap shot that took Hishon down.

Here are the Top 25 players under the age of 25 according to ESPN's Neil Greenberg, the guy who gave you this same list last year without John Tavares on it. Tavares jumps to No. 5, while Brad Marchand is apparently better than Tyler Seguin.

1. C Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks, 24

20. D Kevin Shattenkirk, St. Louis Blues, 24

21. C Jordan Eberle, Edmonton Oilers, 22

22. C Patrik Berglund, St. Louis Blues, 24

23. G Semyon Varlamov, Colorado Avalanche, 24

24. D Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres, 22

25. LW Wayne Simmonds, Philadelphia Flyers, 24

For what it's worth, here are the 25 players under the age of 25 on my Top 300 Fantasy Players list:

Steven Stamkos

Derek Stepan

Jakub Voracek

James van Riemsdyk

Max Pacioretty

Bryan Little

Kyle Turris

Just missing the cut, in order - Landeskog, Lucic, Okposo, O'Reilly and Marchand.

Blogs with Balls Hockey Panel, in case you are interested. This is an hour. Entertaining though.

Dakkster said:

Dakkster
... Greenberg always does the same statwanking that I'm allergic to. It's one thing to use advanced stats to gain a better understanding of the game, but to use it in its entirety as your only tool for determining hockey skill is just stupid.
October 10, 2012

newfcollins said:

newfcollins
... I get the same message as boneweasel when I use my wife's laptop.
October 10, 2012

TheBoneweasel said:

TheBoneweasel
... the sites specifically are "dobberbaseball.com" and "dobbersports.com"
October 10, 2012

TheBoneweasel said:

TheBoneweasel
... i posted about this before, dobber, and kind of got ripped on for it, but i thought id let you know that my McAfee and AVG both told me that your site has "significant risks." as before, this is the only website that i ever get pop-ups on, and i don't know exactly what would be the best way to fix the problem but i thought i'd shoot you the heads-up. I'm a perennial guide buyer and love your stuff.
October 10, 2012

Sportfreunde said:

Sportfreunde
... Your list is for sure better Dobber but Yakupov is waaaaaaaay too high, Benn should not be higher than Toews but Benn is really overrated because of his size and I feel like this is missing a few players....most notably Pietrangelo. Though I do understand that this is from a fantasy stats perspective and still manages to be better than that ESPN garbage.

I also dunno if I'd put JVR at 22, I'd for sure take Landeskog or B Schenn or David Perron over JVR.
October 10, 2012

robmyatt said:

robmyatt
Under 25? While I don't agree with order of Greenberg's list, he did clearly outline his criteria as to why some big names didn't make the cut.

A few other ground rules: As the title of the ranking indicates, players 25 or over -- and those turning 25 before Feb. 1 -- are inelligble for this list. That removes several of the list's previous top names -- including Sidney Crosby, Nicklas Backstrom and Claude Giroux. Also, by looking for an established track record of success rather than future potential, you won't find any of the league's talented 2011-12 rookies on this list. That even includes the NHL's reigning rookie of the year Gabriel Landeskog of the Colorado Avalanche and Edmonton's Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, although I have no doubt they will feature prominently in future lists. In fact, later this week, ESPN Insider's NHL scout, Grant Sonier, will take a look at his most likely future additions.
October 10, 2012

newfcollins said:

newfcollins
Giroux Giroux shouldn't be on the list though. The ESPN guy doesn't include any player that turns 25 before Feb. 1. Giroux turns 25 in January, hence why he wasn't on it. Also the same reason Backstrom isn't on it.

It's not a great list, but there is a reason he left off some of the big names.
October 10, 2012

UKflames said:

UKflames
Main stream media They always prefer the "sky is falling" angle to the "they are talking but we don't have any news" angle, it makes people listen or read what they have to say. Thankfully in these days of multi media sources we don't always have to take their opinion as gospel truth.
I agree with you Dobber, I doubt they are getting together in all of these meetings and not mentioning the economics of the CBA. Can you imagine the whole meeting going "SSssshhh" whenever any mentions the "E" word, hilarioussmilies/cheesy.gif
October 10, 2012

bluteau said:

bluteau
... I prefer 100 times your top 25 players under 25 years old than the one from Neil Greenberg. He didn't put CLAUDE GIROUX what a upset... Toews ahead of Tavares and Stamkos a other upset...

Just want know if you still make a update for your top 300 players during the lockout I am waiting since the begining of october. smilies/tongue.gifsmilies/smiley.gif Don't bother I know you are really busy right now. Thank for your site it's the best one for win your hockey pool.
October 10, 2012

BlackGold said:

BlackGold
missing He's also missing Backstrom...
October 10, 2012

BlackGold said:

BlackGold
... Crosby and Malkin are over 25? Damn I feel old.
October 10, 2012

norrisdivision said:

norrisdivision
Lol I had to read it 3 times to be sure, but nope! No Giroux on his list anywhere. It's a mess.
October 09, 2012