Angus here - we are running another weekly contest for a free fantasy team audit (this time done by yours truly). How to enter, you ask? Well, I have some hockey trivia for you.

Tweet with the hashtag #dobbertrivia or reply to our Facebook page with your answer to this question - one winner will be picked at random by midnight on Tuesday:

Who have been the top three American defensemen in terms of offensive production since the start of the 2009-10 season?

*

Lockout Update: Day 24 - There is still a lockout.

*

Fantasy Guide - I'm going to update this by tomorrow. The update will be a big one, as it will include a breakdown and analysis of our 16-team Expert's Tier roto league. These are hard-core poolies I'm up against in the draft. Also will have some CBA chatter and some KHL injury notes.

And if my Canadian friends missed this yesterday because Turkey Day had you doing bigger and better things than coming to this site, I will say this again. Thank you everyone for buying a guide this year, despite the uncertainty. As you can imagine, sales have been brutal. So I'm extremely grateful for the ones that I did get.

*

The AHL is into their preseason action, and on Saturday it was Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier and the Adirondack Phantoms against Chris Kreider and the Connecticut Whale. The Whale won the game 3-1, Kreider had an empty netter and his linemate Chad Kolarik had the game winner.

*

Lockout domino effect - Calgary prospects Ryan Howse, Mitch Wahl and four others were demoted to the ECHL by Abbottsford. Howse was disappointing last year as a rookie pro, and could have used a confidence boost with an improved AHL campaign.

Domino effect Part II - Pittsburgh prospect Tom Kuhnhackl - off to the ECHL. Cut from WBS.

Part III - Edmonton's Toni Rajala. You guessed it, off to the ECHL.

*

Getting scary to own a Russian player these days. Consider this - ESPN is taking an interest in the KHL. The KHL gains traction around the world as the biggest league playing. The NHL will emerge from this lockout with even stricter salary limits on players, particularly young players. I'm just saying that if last year a 20-year-old Russian star had a 20% chance of signing in the KHL, 80% in the NHL… then next year that same hypothetical 20-year-old Russian star's odds will be more like 40%. With similar increased odds for stars of all ages and all backgrounds. Just another complication to keep in mind for fantasy hockey.

*

Yes, I'd watch replacement players. Does that shock you? Just give me hockey on TV, in familiar uniforms, with players I can watch and draft. Just answering a question that's been going around the Internet lately. Would you watch replacement players?

*

You could always join a KHL fantasy league. Here is what Wassel has to say about that over at The Hockey Writers. If a pool manager (I really pushed for mine to be able to do this, but alas - I failed) tracked KHL stuff then I'd be all over this. But without a pool manager, it just doesn't feel right.

*

I enjoyed this 2012-13 season recap (that never happened) by Elliotte Friedman. Take a look.

*

I remember last week at my draft being surprised when Teuvo Teravainen was drafted in the first round. And after further thought - it was still a terrible pick. Let me explain. Nothing against the 18-year-old, who was a steal at 18th overall this past summer in the NHL. He had a fantastic prospects camp, completely took it over. But look at the Blackhawks. Last year they sent Rostislav Olesz to the minors, had Daniel Carcillo and Dave Bolland on the IR, couldn't find room for Brandon Saad or Jimmy Hayes, and stuck Michael Frolik on a checking line with no power play time. Do you really think Teravainen is going to make this team? Next year? No way. And if and when he does, it will be another three years before he's a top sixer. So it will be five years before he's fantasy-worthy, and his upside is probably on the second line. So call it 70 points.

As it is, Chicago is going to scratch Frolik, Andrew Shaw, Viktor Stalberg, Bryan Bickell, Carcillo and Brandon Pirri at least once each this season. And Hayes and Jeremy Morin will have to play the full year in the AHL. The draft pick boggled my mind, as I didn't even have Teravainen on my list. I mean… Toews, Bolland and Kruger are ingrained as the top three centers for years to come. And if that ever changes Sharp and Kane can also play up the middle, and Pirri is knocking on the door. There were much safer picks out there. To me, if you really like the guy, then the third round would have been fitting, maybe low second.

*

So Andrei Loktionov is not in the KHL? He scored on the weekend - for Manchester of the AHL - so now I'm confused. I must have missed that update. So there you go. Incredibly promising news for Loktionov owners. This changes everything.

*

Henrik Zetterberg is off to the Swiss League. Drew Miller is off to, uh, Scotland? What next, Dustin Jeffrey to the Netherlands? Oh.

*

Nail Yakupov was the KHL rookie of the week, notching three goals in two games.

*

Malkin with a beauty:

I'll repeat this from yesterday, since I think many of you were off doing your Turkey thing. I get handed hockey books all the time, usually around this time of year. But this one I was truly looking forward to getting - The Best of Down Goes Brown. You know that Sean McIndoe's site is gold. Nothing funnier in the hockey world. Well, I plowed through about a third of the book over the weekend and it was as advertised. Buy this, or tell your wife or girlfriend (or non-hockey fan husband, if that's the case) to grab this for you for Christmas. This thing will have an honored place in my bathroom when I'm done.

*

And let's keep going with DGB, partnering up with blogesalming with this NHLPA outtake video. Reeeally picks up steam about halfway through and is just hilarious at that point:


Write comment
Comments (4)add comment

hockeymanG23 said:

hockeymanG23
Teuvo Teravainen If this is a one year league it's an awful pick, in a prospect draft not so bad. Not that I would pick him in the first round either, but whats to say that he won't end up on the wing?

I only see 4 sure fire top 6 players on the team. Other prospects certainly have potential there, but the guys who currently fill out the top 6 are just fortunate to be tagging along in my mind.
October 09, 2012
Votes: +0

Sportfreunde said:

Sportfreunde
... Yeah you're gonna have to look at the Chicago prospect pool again. Frolik/Bickell really weren't that good, Kruger got lots of playing time last season but he's anything but "ingrained." Sharp is gonna be 32 in a couple yrs, Hossa already is. Bolland is a good 3rd but not 2nd line C.

They wanna play Kane as a winger but can't because they're short at C and Pirri/Morin/Kruger are not sure shots so they need a player who they think is gonna be a 2nd line C and Teravainen fits.

Now I wouldn't have drafted him either but that's for entirely different reasons since I think he has high potential but is an unsafe pick and too much possible bust written over him if he has size issues in the NHL (he hasn't yet done much in the SM Liiga this season either).
October 09, 2012
Votes: +0

hawkdog said:

hawkdog
Teuvo Teravainen you mean taken in the first round of your one year league? I wouldn't draft him in round 1 of a keeper league prospect draft.

Is today supposed to be the first day of real hockey?
smilies/angry.gif
October 09, 2012
Votes: -1

UKflames said:

UKflames
Drew Miller Dobber, did you have to look up Scotland to see if it was in Europesmilies/cheesy.gif that is three players now in the UK, nearly as many as Austria, we are a hockey hot bed smilies/grin.gif
October 09, 2012
Votes: +0
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.

busy