There is a lot of prestige that comes with publishing a fantasy hockey magazine and getting onto newsstands. After all, print magazines – at least the big ones – distribute anywhere from 50,000 to 150,000 and actually sell maybe half that. If you’re still a staunch believer in newsstand magazines, and you’re still a holdout on buying something online because “it couldn’t possibly be any better – it’s not good enough to make the newsstands”, consider this:

I can be published. I’ve been approached. Two years ago I was approached, and people still kick tires today. But how would it help my reputation if I had to get all of my projections in place by mid-July? And how could I update? So what do I gain from being published? Not money. Although it would sell 10 times as many guides, the cost of those guides ramp up from 20% or 30% that the online ones cost, to 80% or more to print, distribute and give stores a healthy chunk. I guess what I’m saying is that you won’t find a better guide online or in stores. Guaranteed. I don’t mind saying I’ll refund you if you think it’s crap. Because I’m confident it’s the best. Also, I stuck a 60% off coupon code in there for the football guide, if you’re into both fantasy sports.

The NHL and the NHLPA are scheduled to resume meetings today. Donald Fehr has been flying all over the place, including Moscow to meet Ilya Kovalchuk and Evgeni Malkin, as well as Barcelona to meet with the likes of Henrik Zetterberg, Mark Streit, etc. I guess he’s never heard of Skype and a projector.

Interesting comparison over at Fear the FinShane Doan vs. Ryane Clowe. Each are listed at 6-2, 225 pounds. Over the last three years, Doan has 60-45-105 in 233 games. Clowe has 60-104-164 in 232 games.

Larry Brooks reports that Doan has shortened his non-Phoenix list to Pittsburgh, New York or Vancouver. Regarding the Rangers – now that’s just greedy! Relax guys....eeeeeasy there. Every good player who comes on the market you don’t have to jump at him. It’s okay to let one or two players go to other teams. I don’t think they could compete with the Penguins anyway. The Pens are sitting on a pile of money that they set aside for Zach Parise. Now what are they going to do with it?

Look at this – Pat Sajak is in the background of Sidney Crosby’s hockey card.

Will Adam Henrique step up in Parise’s absence? So asks THW’s Carl Stoffers. I’ll answer him – no. Henrique is clutch, and he’s a good player. But he lacks the upside. He best fits as a second liner, or as a first liner who clicks with a star like he does with Kovalchuk, and like Brendan Morrison did with Naslund and Bertuzzi. So many other examples – Langkow and Iginla is another good one.

And I think if Tyler Bozak were given a full-time spot with Phil Kessel, I think he’d do just fine. He’s getting better every year and although he’s not a first-line center either, he is a complementary player who clicked well with Kessel.

I wonder why Kristian Huselius hasn’t had a sniff? He’s healthy now, and still only 33.

Huselius and Kiprusoff with some highlights from a few years ago. Huselius was the No.1…

drl33 said:

drl33
... nvm found it, cant wait to rule the football world thx to dobbs!

drl33 said:

drl33
... what page is the football guide code on? id love to try your football guide after utilizing the hockey guide the past few years.

DuklaNation said:

DuklaNation
... Keep the online format. You have the advantage of being the first one available and the ability to update during the summer. Its a no-brainer especially these days where most things are online only anyways.

SeaDawg said:

SeaDawg
publishing I am very familiar with the publishing business, and most of what Dobber says is true. Though publishing a glossy-covered magazine would potentially increase traffic to this site (as robmyatt says), that is about the only real advantage Dobber would have in publishing. The cost of publishing is quite costly, with most of the profits being taken by the publishing company and the stores selling magazines. I'm sure Dobber at the very least makes just as much money, if not more, by publishing the magazine in PDF format.

Robmyatt is correct in that updates could still be made after the fact in PDF format even if a magazine is published first, but I still think Dobber is better off publishing in PDF on his own site instead. I don't know what the traffic is to this site, but I'd wager a guess that advertising in the other magazines (THN, McKeen's, etc.) probably does a pretty good job all on its own in increasing site traffic.

robmyatt said:

robmyatt
Publishing You could still publish it without sacrificing updates.
Publish and let it hit news stands.

In each published guide there can be a "barcode" that allows you to log into dobbersports and download updated pdfs as they become available.

having 50,000 copies distributed across the country/NA would only drive more traffic to your site which means you can justify charging more the ad space online.

I think it's a silly business move to at least not attempt it.

But maybe if you published your own "news-stand" version. THN might not want you writing for them any more since you're now a direct competitor to one of their more popluar products.

Ross The Boss Palmer said:

Ross The Boss Palmer
NYR Cap Situation In a few years (2 perhaps) the Rangers have to resign a lot of studs/young guys or make some pretty significant moves. Check it out on capgeek (I don't have the time to post the link, late for a meeting smilies/tongue.gif ). This will be what should keep them from signing Doan. Need the cap flexibility for what comes in a year or two.

JHM said:

JHM
Doan numbers Dobber, check Doan's numbers. Should read 105 assists. Interesting stuff though. Doan gets a lot more love. That's because he leads, while Clowe benefits from playing with big boys.

Doubting Thomas said:

horn tooting very unattractive.

germant said:

germant
Relax @donpaulo - hey man, relax a little. Don't get so offended by a comment that I don't even think was that offensive. If Dobber was saying that about the Preds, Leafs, Flames, two dozen other teams, those fan bases would be happy their team was that aggressive.

Say one thing, make one sideways comment about the Rangers and the NY fan base gets all upset. Lighten up man. smilies/cool.gif

... MDZ is at least $4 million IMO

donpaulo - I added an exclamation mark, and an "easy there" with extra e's to lighten it up further.

roenick27 said:

roenick27
... I think a slight Oversight in the stats. Down I believe should've been 60-105-165 unless I am reading the stats wrong

Username said:

Username
Doan/NYR/PIT Cap space: NYR $11,691,666 vs. PIT $9,936,667. The Rangers certainly can compete with the Pens and sign Doan (even though they still have MDZ left to re-sign).

donpaulo said:

... message received.

I don't like cornflakes actually and usually I get the joke as much as the other guy, but when it comes to whats written about my blueshirts I have little tolerance for perceived aspersions. Especially from a guy I respect like Dobber or the community here on this website.

for the record when others misunderstand either my intent or something I have written I try to improve my writing rather than suggest that others misinterpreted what I wrote.

Mr Guru are you suggesting that NY signed all the good UFA's ?

I was under the impression that was done by Minnesota not my blueshirts, perhaps I am mistaken ?

Lets play a game shall we ? How many UFA's did NY sign this year ?

Jeff Halpern, Michael Haley, Aaron Asham

stop the presses !

Rollie1967 said:

... somebody get donpaulo a fresh bowl of cornflakes...I dont think he wants to eat the one he's got.

Mr. Guru said:

Mr. Guru
relax he was just saying NY doesn't have to sign all the good UFA's. Not a knock against NY at all.

tongue in cheek comment.

reading into it way to much!!

donpaulo said:

... once again the bile directed at NY is palpable. NY did not sign Parise or Suter, nor did they offer sheet Weber. They didn't match the offer made by Montreal for Brandon Prust nor did they try and keep John Mitchell. They didn't throw money at Michalek, Zbynek only to trade him back to PHX for pennies, nor did they offer a 35+ year old Sergei Gonchar a 5.5 megabuck hit against the cap.

Yet it is the rangers that are being unfair ? Relax guys ?

Are you serious ? and this is after a pitch about how excellent your publication is ?

I realize its Summer and news is slow but please spare this rangers fan the dissenting commentary. NY reached the semi finals when most of the experts predicted them being an also ran. They have a top 5 defensive team and are going to be better next season (assuming we have one) They traded away a known quantity to get a known quality player and now need to find another forward right ?

So answer this question, if NY has the cap space and can sign the player why shouldn't they ?

Its a free market right ?

Isn't that what other clubs do ? Why are the rangers different ?

For the record many rangers fans DON'T want Doan to sign in NY. So we are relaxed, but the guys in charge are the ones throwing around the money not "us".

Here is how I think the comment should have read "Larry Brooks reports that Doan has shortened his non-Phoenix list to Pittsburgh, New York or Vancouver. Wow the Rangers ? really ? I know NY needs more offense but perhaps he is not the best solution for the blueshirts. I don’t think they can compete with the Penguins anyway as the Pens are sitting on a pile of money that they set aside for Zach Parise. Don't you think Doan would be a great fit in Steeltown ?"

thanks for your time