According to Chesnokov, Alexander Radulov's KHL rights have been traded by Salavat to CSKA. Read into that what you will, but how I interpret it is that Salavat is getting a little less confident that Rads will return. I think they see his pending trade within the NHL as a motivator for him to remain in the NHL. To me, his fantasy value goes up a bit.

Here are your early Stanley Cup odds for 2013 – courtesy of bodog:

Carolina Hurricanes        50/1

Edmonton Oilers             60/1

Montreal Canadiens      60/1

Columbus Blue Jackets 75/1

Minnesota Wild               75/1

New York Islanders        75/1

Which would you put money on? Which odds do you think were clearly calculated when the oddsmaker was drunk?

The Oilers have signed Oscar Klefbom to an ELC. While he won’t be their savior on the defense… he’ll certainly be a huge part of it. The guy is a two-way stud. We won’t see him this year though. Another SEL season first, last I checked.

Sidney Crosby signing for 10 years and $90 million – my first reaction to this rumor was ‘wow – risky’. But then I started to wonder how much merchandise he sells, and the odds of him helping the Penguins to one more Cup. If they win one more Cup, then I think they got their money’s worth.

Ian Laperriere has announced his retirement. I thought he did last year, but I guess not. His concussion was a devastating one, taking him out of the mix for two years – a career ender. When he first broke into the league he had 13 goals, 27 points, was plus-12 with 85 PIM in just 37 games. When a rookie does that, fantasy owners trip over themselves to pick him up for the following year. But he only scored 13 goals or more one other time and he only his 27 points two more times.

The Islanders have signed prospect Johan Sundstrom to an ELC. He was their second round pick last year. He’s ranked 216 on my Fantasy Prospects List, but he’ll spend at least two years in the AHL and probably three.

This one really boggles the mind. The Devils elected to keep their pick – 29th overall – rather than forfeit it. They need to forfeit one of their next three first round draft picks because of the Kovalchuk/cap circumvention thing. Yesterday’s decision implies that Lou Lamoriello plans on having one of the next two drafts picking 30th (i.e. they win the Cup). Dumb. And it screwed up Brendan Ross’s Mock Draft – he had factored in the New Jersey forfeit. So he had to scrap a big chunk of his Mock Draft and go at it again.

Speaking of the Mock Draft – it will be in today’s update of the Fantasy Prospects Report. I also profiled four more players – Dumoulin, Hrivik, Gernat and Haula.

Look at the ref setting a nice pick on Volchenkov:

Zangief said:

Zangief
... Ha, ha, ha. Ya, what does Lou Lamoriello know about running a hockey organization? I love the Armchair GM stuff. I trust that if Lou wants to retain the pick, there is a very valid reason.

Rollie1967 said:

... Anaheim at 25/1? no thanks,how can they be ranked that high? Washington-sure! If Tampa gets a goalie- sure. Wouldnt touch Toronto even at 35/1.
for real long shots- Ottawa at 40, or Minny at 75 I'd take- ottawa looked good in the playoffs- good team game- and both Ottawa and Minny have some impressive rookies coming.

Isle B. said:

Isle B.
... If a team has to forfeit a first round pick over the next 3 years, how can they not forfeit 29th overall?

Big Ev, maybe the 2012 29th overall will be as good as the 2013 14th overall pick in 2014, but who will be better in 2016? By your logic teams might as well trade all of their future 1st round picks for current 2nd round picks.

The Pens at 7-1? Did the oddsmakers watch MA Fleury in the playoffs this year?

Dicks said:

Dicks
Odds I think San Jose at 22/1 and Toronto at 35/1 are both way to generous. The Islanders at 75/1 are a much better investment...

I really like Tampa at 25/1. Edmonton at 60/1?! I need to get in on that action! The draft and shrewd trade and signing could catapult them into contention.

Big Ev said:

Big Ev
... As foe the comments below, even of a drafting a better than another draft, they are roughly all the same after the Top 10 or so. I easily take 29th now instead of 14th on two years

Big Ev said:

Big Ev
... Radulov was expected to be traded there the whole time as Fedorov is offering lots of money and just acquired his brother Igor as well.

littleranger said:

littleranger
Devils pick Rumour is the Devils are giving Parise the 29th pick to be his slave for the remainder of his career as long as he resigns in NJ.

Ross The Boss Palmer said:

Ross The Boss Palmer
Lou Lou is a pretty ballsy GM, gotta think he has something up his sleeve.

bogans said:

bogans
Devils Pick Rumor has it even if the next two years they make the cup, that 2013 and 2014 are stronger overall drafts than 2012 is expected to be. Bottom of the first round this year is not expected to be high impact players. And if it is true that the Devils are keeping it for a goaltender, you can easily get one of those three in the second round.

jer_33 said:

jer_33
Devils pick Entirely possible that Lou has a taker for that pick, to be announced in a trade pre-draft.

JHM said:

JHM
NJ Lou will be sad when he forfeits the 8th over all, in favour of the 29th. It's difficult to view the Devils as being on a climb up the hill. More of a one time flash. The blue line is shaky. Marty & Elias on their last legs. Parise heading out for greener pastures. The Devils will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year.

marlou3232 said:

marlou3232
Devils 2012 pick I think they will go for a goalie with the 29th selection... Brodeur wants to play another year and since they don't have a stellar goalie prospect, they will go after one of Subban, Dansk or Vasilevsky...

UKflames said:

UKflames
Odds I would be tempted to put something on Carolina at 50/1 as an outside what the hell bet, they are not as bad as everyone thinks and could spring a surprise.

Got to agree with donpaulo, the Caps at 25/1 are in interesting bet as well.

donpaulo said:

... I wish I could shortsell that Detroit play, 12-1 minus lidstrom, stuart & holmstrom ? Yes they have a ton of cap space but 12-1 with a re-engineered blueline ?

If I were in the casino I would probably drop a dime on PHX at 40/1 and the Caps at 25-1

if they make it past the first round you can sell the "winning" ticket to a bandwagon fan somewhere smilies/smiley.gif

Big Ev said:

Big Ev
Devils Pick I don't get why people are saying it's dumb to keep the pick. Would you rather have 29th overall now or, for example, 20ish next year or 15-20 the year after that?

There's not a big difference between 15-20, or 29, and your prospect you just picked 29th overall will have 2 years under his belt development-wise once the 2014 draft rolls around.

This way they get to pick a very good goalie prospect if they want, and keep their pick in a deeper draft next year.