Taylor Hall - out two to four weeks with his shoulder injury per TSN. Paajarvi has a few games to show his stuff

Updated the Elliott/Wilson note below. Stefan Elliott's hot start reminds me of Shattenkirk's from a year ago.

Footage of the Tootoo dive below. Shameless! The Tennessean floated the concept of the "Tootoo hat trick". That is a goal, an assist and a diving penalty.

Blake Geoffrion will be out "for awhile". He left the game last night and was later seen with his arm in a sling.

My THN column yesterday on Ryan Smyth and Kyle Turris. And yesterday's Puck Daddy is here.

Max Pacioretty gets three games for his hit on Letang. He had been playing with Desharnais and Cole, so this obviously forces a shake-up. I think they’ll keep the Eller line intact (Kostitsyn and Moen) as well as the Cammalleri, Gionta and Plekanec line together. That would point to Louis Leblanc subbing in for him on that line. Yes, Leblanc has been recalled.

Jared Spurgeon continues to roll for the Wild, with five points in his last eight games.

Niklas Backstrom owners are happy to see him bounce back from getting pulled after three goals on eight shots Sunday. He stopped 32 of 33 for the win Monday.

Cal Clutterbuck has eight points in his last nine games. After 34 points last year, I can see him crossing the 40 threshold this time around. He’s also a good PIM play, especially this campaign.

So Tampa, how’s the 1-3-1 system working out for you? Seems like a good, solid system.

Weird seeing Ryan Wilson getting more PP time than either Kyle Quincey or Stefan Elliott. But then I looked at his points and saw that he has 13. Boy that one snuck up on me. Meanwhile, Elliott was pointless in his second NHL game, but saw 2:42 in PP time. Update: Wilson's assist last night was later given to Elliott - well done Elliott! Points in each of his first two games. Reminds me of Shattenkirk's start last season.

Andrew Raycroft passes his first test – just one goal allowed on 36 shots. Richard Bachman will have to wait a little while longer. The word on Kari Lehtonen – three weeks.

Semyon Varlamov has given up two goals in each of his last three games – but has just one win to show for it. He’s finding his confidence, his team isn’t scoring.

In the last four games, Jordin Tootoo has five points, four PIM and 16 shots on goal. Obviously he’s not there for his offense, but it’s a nice bonus for those who have him for PIM.

As expected, Magnus Paajarvi got a bump in his ice time with Taylor Hall sidelined. His 15:12 was the most he has seen since October 15. Nothing to show for it. Maybe he was in shock.

Chris Pronger is out for the next month after knee surgery. This news comes a few days after he has been missing games with a “virus”. Remember that? Now you tell me – do you believe the injury news that you hear? I’m telling ya, it’s getting more difficult with each passing year to get the straight goods.

It’s that time of year again folks – click here to check out Canada’s invitees to Canada’s junior team selection camp. Bob McKenzie also speculates on Brett Connolly, Devante Smith-Pelly and Erik Gudbranson being released from their NHL clubs for the tourney.

Buffalo lines in practice: Hecht with Pominville and Vanek, Roy with Gerbe and Kassian, Adam with Stafford and Leino (and Ennis subbed in for Stafford at times – he’s getting close). Good to see Kassian still around and on that line.

Ryan Miller was back in practice as well. Sounds like Enroth is safe for two or three more games yet though.

The Flyers have recalled Brayden Schenn and they placed Andreas Nodl on waivers. Nodl is not a checker, but there was never any room in the top six – only a lineup of more qualified players to play there. On a different team, who knows?

There is a chance” that Jaromir Jagr is back in the lineup Friday. James van Riemsdyk is a “longshot” to play this weekend.

The Panthers have sent Jacob Markstrom and Michal Repik down to the minors. Scotty Clemmensen is back.

“Hey guys, remember me?” I’m sure Jan Mursak didn’t say that, but when I saw this article that was what I was thinking. Targeting a mid-December return to the Red Wings.

Kris Letang missed the start of practice as a doctor looked at his facial injuries, but joined the team later and seemed fine.

While Kyle Palmieri scores 12 times in 13 AHL games, his parent club the Ducks continue to struggle to score. The Ducks sent McMillan to the minors Monday, but haven’t recalled anyone yet.

Scott Parse is out for the season. Again. D’oh!

Dobber Nation is a little late, but I expect to have it up Wednesday or Thursday.

DobberBaseball Fantasy Prospects Report is now out. Be sure to drop by the site and pick that up if you’re in a baseball keeper league. Also, the FORUM over there has had an injection of new members so if you’re a fantasy baseball fanatic in the summer, give it a look.

OMG Jordin Tootoo was hit by a truck! Oh no, wait. He was given a little shove. His reaction led me to the first conclusion...

HBO 24/7 preview:

Nice goal by the PM, Mr. Bouchard:

Ken Shultz said:

kshultz
Letang Concussion? Letang is out for the Rangers game Tuesday.

He was sent home for "further evaluation". I'm no expert in Injury Newsese, but "further evaluation" at this point means "concussion" in most languages--am I right?
November 29, 2011

... Laidlaw - very valid points. But the basic comparables that you mention are givens. I need to look at the 'bonus' category because I know/knew he was a better version of Shattenkirk just waiting to blossom.

So to me, not having seen the game, I feel much better about him posting a point then missing out on it. In Game 2 it means the difference between seeing your ice time rolling back to 17 minutes or keeping it at 19 - which could mean the difference between point number 3 or being stuck at one point. Snowball/domino effect, as if he has one point in three games suddenly 17 minutes may become 15. Then he's at one in four instead of three in four. One in four could mean another stint in the minors. Three in four means no choice but to keep him up a few more games. I see it all the time and I'm usually accurate in guessing when/if a prospect gets sent back down and when - my gut doesn't often fail me, even from a small sample.

These are the hunches I've gone with for years and they've worked for me.

donions said:

donions
Re: Maximus, Re: Pacioretty Max I think you're being a little too soft in your outlook on things.
Your comments regarding Letang being vulnerable cause his head was down and therefore Pacioretty should have avoided him; and Letang not being at fault even tho he skated into the trolley tracks, are at the very least, flawed.
That's the absolute worst area in sports to go into at full-speed with your head down, and Letang knows it.

I agree with the suspension, but if they went shoulder to shoulder instead and Letang dislocates it, I would hope all the people poking fun at Pacioretty would recognize it's just a great hockey hit.

B. W. said:

SavageGardener
Elliott/Lindstrom Joakim Lindstrom placed on waivers, presumably to make room to keep Elliott...

Maximus said:

Mr Zizzla
Diving I still don't understand why the ref has to call both players to the box for a diving call. Tootoo still accomplished what he wanted to do and that was to get an Oiler off the ice and into the box. Those 2 minutes he served, he would've been sitting on the bench anyway so it makes no difference to him.

If you're going to call a dive, call it on the diver and not the guy who gave him a love tap.

Maximus said:

Mr Zizzla
@Larry I agree that there wasn't any malicious intent at all but to me, Pacioretty had other options then to go for the hit. A stick check in that situation would've been a better team play with Letang slightly pinching, it would've resulted in an odd man rush or potential breakway.

"but he didn't miss much game time"
that has nothing to do with it at all, nor should it. If his shoulder was a half inch either way, he would've crushed Letang's orbital bone and he would be out for a significant amount of time. Either way, it was a dangerous play in my opinion.

The refs in that game were a joke so them not calling that hit a penalty has little to do with it. See the 2nd disallowed goal, see the game winning goal and many other questionable penalty/non-penalty calls throughout.

Larry said:

... @maximus: I wouldnt expect Letang to let up anymore than I would expect Patches to. I dont see any malicious intent (leaping/high elbow -which is how Cooke wouldve finished the check in the past). I saw a collision that had unfortunate results for Letang-but he didnt miss much game time,nor did either ref call a penalty-yet Shanny gave 3 games? If he doesnt suspend Malone for the hit on Campoli- how does this warrant one? Patches is not a repeat offender so the basis of 3 games vs what Shanny has called previously is murky at best.

steve laidlaw said:

metaldude26
... Oh dear god JHM, you are a genius!

Jocular Hockey Manager said:

JHM
Tootoo I still dream of a Tootoo, Ruutu, Ruutu line... the announcers... the mayhem... Cheechoo can sit in reserve, waiting for an inevitable injury...

A TOOTOO HATTRICK
Anyone paying the least bit of attention would know that that's a
- Charge
- Boarding
- Fight

Possible substitution of a High stick.

9 minutes in penalties, is 3x as good as 3 goals?

smilies/smiley.gif

steve laidlaw said:

metaldude26
Elliott Accepting the fact that for a rookie the difference between one point in two games and two points in two games is actually fairly substantial, it's still just one point in a small sample size on a play that was obviously far from perfect (or Elliott would have received the assist straight away). Understanding that luck and bounces are all factors in whether or not a young player sticks around it still seems more than a little flip-floppity of you to jump cautious optimism to Shattenkirk comparisons. I mean is one point really the difference here? I'd much prefer to see those sorts of comparisons made based on actual play looking at things like confidence, hockey IQ and puck moving ability rather than saying, "My god! Two points in two games. It's happening again!" When just hours earlier you thought it was one point in two games and that sort of optimism wasn't there.

Maximus said:

Mr Zizzla
Pacioretty hit When the primary contact is with the bridge of Letang's nose, that warrants a suspension, 3 games was light in my opinion as i thought it would be 5.

@duducks
"When you watch the hit over a 2 second timespan, and in super slow motion, it looks illegal."
-Why do you think that is? Super slow motion shows the contact directly on Letang's nose, then shoulder and that IS illegal.
"When you watch the entire play, it's a PERFECT hit, with Letang leading with his head as he skates into a dangerzone."
-This is the respect issue that many people talk about when they talk about cheap shots in this league. You see a player leading with his head, you let up or avoid the contact at all. A guy who was at the forefront of the illegal checks debate, you'd think he would think twice about that hit.
"He saw Pac coming, and chose to risk the hit to get the shot off. "
-So what did you expect Letang to do? He is making a play, he was in the process of taking a shot. Did you expect Letang to just drop the puck, leave it for Pacioretty and skate out of the zone? That's a ridiculous comment.

If Matt Cooke hit PK Subban in the exact same position, with PK taking a shot and his nose bleeding all over the ice, how many games would you want? How many of you Habs fans would call for a life-time suspension?

C. Gerlach said:

Sheepdogged
PMB I was just as surprised/happy to see Bouchard score as anybody and I'm a Wild fan. It helps when he shoots instead of passes. He is very gifted with the stick (stop that) but he needs to shoot more if the Wild want to make the playoffs. IMO.

duducks said:

duducks
suspension so shocked by that suspension. Did Sid call up Shanny personally and complain?
When you watch the hit over a 2 second timespan, and in super slow motion, it looks illegal. When you watch the entire play, it's a PERFECT hit, with Letang leading with his head as he skates into a dangerzone. He saw Pac coming, and chose to risk the hit to get the shot off.
Lucic can knock a top 3 goalie out for a mont; Gionta can elbow another goalie, whose been gone a month+; no suspensions for NON HOCKEY PLAYS. Pac makes an amazing hit (in size, and in defensive impact) and gets 3 games because the guy was protecting his body with his head.

I liked all of Shanny's pre-season suspensions, but this is another big red X on his test.

Dean Youngblood said:

Dean Youngblood
24/7 HBO and Pronger Good preview of the 24/7 HBO series. The addition of this HBO special to the Outdoor Winter Classic has indeed improved the appeal of the game and I'm glad its back.

With Pronger sidelined for a month that puts his return right around the January 1st Winter Classic. Do the Flyers test his surgically repaired knee on that outdoor ice? I am sure he'll want to play but there's an element of more risk there.

Dean Youngblood said:

Dean Youngblood
Paajarvi I caught some of that Edmonton game last night and the struggling Paajarvi was lined up with Hemsky (who played a fantastic game). Alongside Hemsky, Paajarvi had 3-4 solid scoring chances but either fired the puck wide, took too long to get the shot off or fired it right into the target on Lindback's chest.

The raw skills are there with Paajarvi but I am concerned with his ability to finish and capitalize on his opportunities. Hopefully, Paajarvi continues to get looks to see if he can build on his play.

Ross The Boss Palmer said:

Ross The Boss Palmer
December 14th 24/7 doesn't start until the 14th... I can't wait that long

ynotzz said:

ynotzz
Elliott The announcer and graphics listed Wilson with an assist on the Colorado goal, but he wasnt even in the zone and nowhere near the play. Elliott had the primary assist and has been given credit on nhl.com now.

Larry said:

Shanahan wtf? Im lost as to what warrants a penalty/fine/suspension now. Thought Patches would get at most a fine- not sure how this was worse than what Malone did to Campoli- and Campoli hasnt played since- and Malone walked.

r22yu said:

BlackGold
Elliot

As of 11:12pm MST, nhl.com boxscores says Elliot has 1 assist....